by Coach Tommy
You might be pleasantly surprised by my answer. The most important investment you can make in your health…with the highest return on investment is….
When it comes to most people’s health and wellness goals, most of them can be solved by really focusing on proper nutrition habits. Think of it as an amplifier to all of the activities you are doing inside the gym.
No, I am not talking about “dieting.” I am talking about establishing good long-term nutrition habits that fuel your daily activity and allow you to live with vitality.
The fitness industry will sell you “quick fixes” like 30-Day Keto Challenges or supplements. These are meant to feed into your immediate innate desire to change your life but not necessarily teach you how to navigate it for the rest of your life.
So what is the best way for you to get started with nutrition?
It depends on where you are starting. Most of us cannot jump straight into a customized meal plan with calorie counting and macros.
Instead, bringing awareness to the things we are already doing and making 1 to 2 minor adjustments per week is a great way to start building momentum.
Over the next few days, I will go over some specific things that you can do to start addressing your nutrition, including:
- Starting with the 7 Basic Lifestyle Guidelines
- The 3 Most Important Elements for Effective Weight Loss
- How The Scale Can Lie to You, Especially if you are Weight Training
- Accelerating Your Results by Working with a Coach
Let’s start with addressing the 7 Basic Lifestyle Guidelines (BLGs). This is my starting point when I start working with a new client. These include:
- Make sure you are getting 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night.
- Do some sort of movement every day. It doesn’t have to be an intense workout. It could be simply going for a walk with the family.
- Living each day with intention. Be present in the activity that you are doing.
- Hydration – drink approximately ½ of your body weight in fluid ounces
- Have a consistent wake & sleep schedule to regulate your circadian rhythm and maximize energy throughout the day
- Try to get some sort of sunlight every single day. 15-20 minutes will do
- Focus on managing stress throughout the day. Morning rituals, daily planners, and scheduling your day into 60-90 minute productivity blocks help with maximizing productivity and reducing anxiety.
I will see you again tomorrow morning to go over The 3 Most Important Elements for Effective Weight Loss.